The first curiosity
The concept of atom first penetrated my young mind when I was in class 5th.
My grandfather, for the first time brought this alien concept to me. It was a cold december night and after a few general remarks he abruptly asked me, indicating towards the chocolate I was eating" Have you ever thought, what is this made of? " I first gestured him to wait till I finish the chocolate. When I was done, I said ya sure i know, its made of cocoa powder n stuffs.
Grandpa: what this cocoa powder is made of?
me: It contains small grains of cocoa powder
grandpa: what this small grain is made of?
me: okay now, I am watching a cartoon. please dont disturb.
grandpa: just think about what I said tonight.
I turned to my cartoon after that, but in the background of my mind I was continuously thinking about the new thing he asked.
That night I slept very late, I was vigorously thinking about it. For the first time I was so curious about something. I was enjoying thinking about it.
The next morning, I rushed to grandpa. Perhaps my eyes conveyed more than my words. I was standing in front of him with curious sleepless eyes. He asked: what you think about the answer?
me: grandpa, I thought much but still could not figure it out. May be they are made up of smaller cocoa powder grains..!!
grandpa: you are close enough... The smallest thing, which builds up everything are known as atoms. The smallest particle in everything you see is known as atom.
me: how does it look like? Is it made of cocoa?
grandpa: you will learn about it a few years later. Now go n get ready for school.
This was the first time I heard about atoms. They seemed so mysterious.
N now after studying them for more than a decade, I realized I still know nothing about them. They are just a lump of charges evenly balanced. N quantum mechanics have bizarre theories about subatomic particles(or waves?) How come that the table in front of me is also made of electrons protons neutrons n my brain also consist basically the same in the final level, I have consciousness but the table does'nt !!! ? How can combination of atoms produce so fine thing as consciousness? I think may be the things we call non living are having a life but in their own way which we don't understand...
The more I study about these subatomic particles the more confused I get... They behave so mysteriously at quantum level...
Sometimes I wonder, what a complicated world we all are living in.....!
-Kaavya
The concept of atom first penetrated my young mind when I was in class 5th.
My grandfather, for the first time brought this alien concept to me. It was a cold december night and after a few general remarks he abruptly asked me, indicating towards the chocolate I was eating" Have you ever thought, what is this made of? " I first gestured him to wait till I finish the chocolate. When I was done, I said ya sure i know, its made of cocoa powder n stuffs.
Grandpa: what this cocoa powder is made of?
me: It contains small grains of cocoa powder
grandpa: what this small grain is made of?
me: okay now, I am watching a cartoon. please dont disturb.
grandpa: just think about what I said tonight.
I turned to my cartoon after that, but in the background of my mind I was continuously thinking about the new thing he asked.
That night I slept very late, I was vigorously thinking about it. For the first time I was so curious about something. I was enjoying thinking about it.
The next morning, I rushed to grandpa. Perhaps my eyes conveyed more than my words. I was standing in front of him with curious sleepless eyes. He asked: what you think about the answer?
me: grandpa, I thought much but still could not figure it out. May be they are made up of smaller cocoa powder grains..!!
grandpa: you are close enough... The smallest thing, which builds up everything are known as atoms. The smallest particle in everything you see is known as atom.
me: how does it look like? Is it made of cocoa?
grandpa: you will learn about it a few years later. Now go n get ready for school.
This was the first time I heard about atoms. They seemed so mysterious.
N now after studying them for more than a decade, I realized I still know nothing about them. They are just a lump of charges evenly balanced. N quantum mechanics have bizarre theories about subatomic particles(or waves?) How come that the table in front of me is also made of electrons protons neutrons n my brain also consist basically the same in the final level, I have consciousness but the table does'nt !!! ? How can combination of atoms produce so fine thing as consciousness? I think may be the things we call non living are having a life but in their own way which we don't understand...
The more I study about these subatomic particles the more confused I get... They behave so mysteriously at quantum level...
Sometimes I wonder, what a complicated world we all are living in.....!
-Kaavya
No comments:
Post a Comment