Dedicated to....
The hymn
THE UNTOLD
STORY
“Those few evenings were
different from what i live now. It has been 3 years since the NOSTALGIA
incident. Many things changed gradually after that. Life took different turns n
very slowly but continuously changed things. Still sometimes I remember that scintillating evening and weave a web of
lies, may be, the thread of which is the fact that somewhere, somehow, we still
are close. We still are enthused by each other’s lives, we still expect each
other to show up on phone once in a day
atleast... after living in this spurious reverie for sometime, I switch on the
lights , open my reluctant eyes and try get out of the shadows of mind.
Sometimes I....”
“Holy mother of Jesus!!! Will
you shut up for a second!” I exclaimed, of course not out of affection. Actually
I was trying to prepare for a college presentation (about which sometimes I get
serious).
Actually....
Kshitij called me this
morning-“ Dude, I am coming to your home, may I ?”
Me “Sorry boss but i am a bit
busy, got a presentation tomorrow to fail at”
Kshitij-“ ok, coming in 15mins”
Me “don’t u get my drift? I
gotta prepare!! Please bless me today by your absence”
Kshitij “actually i am in a
mood of cursing you today”
Me “actually i am not at home
right now...”(an ancient excuse)
Kshitij “too late for excuses
budd...open the damn gate, i am standing right outside it.”
Oh good grief!! Here he
comes... I ran to the gate n said some words of blessing n let him in.
Me “so why didn’t you tell me
earlier that you were already there”?
Kshitij” I was politely trying
to earn your consent but apparently I didn’t succeed.”
I was furiously thinking for
some good excuse to get rid off him when he suddenly said..
“Dude, I wanna share something
with you” and he started his sharing thing with the above mentioned first para
followed by my hopeless reaction in the second.
Kshitij “wait you merciless
animal! Atleast here me out completely.”
His last word appeared quite
disastrous. It was a cloudy morning with continual chilly winds. I took him to
the terrace(no, not because I intended to throw him down from there if he
crossed my tolerance threshold, but because the weather was good, though the
former crossed my mind once.) seated ourselves,
continuously repeating in my mind that humans have tremendous capacity
to tolerate anything, they can walk on fire, pierce through sword unharmed, and
he is just kshitij, ahh..trifling matter.. All I have to do is listen him out.
Below is a short account of
what he said and an enrapturing proof of my astonishing tolerating power. I don’t
know what he said was real or he just made it up. Though i personally think the
latter to be true.
Kshitij “so where I was....”
Me “sometimes I get serious n
blah blah stuff..” (I really don’t know why i helped him remember what he was
blurting out, of course i abused myself for this blunder .)
Kshitij “ya right, thats what I
was saying, ya actually see, sometimes I feel my life to be very mechanised, i
mean it has become very different from what it used to be.
You know, people say big big
things like distance cant make anyone apart n all...I say all these are nothing
but crap!its not real. People do fall apart when distance separates them.
Ofcourse why woudnt they be. Its all physics in real life as well, force of
attraction between two charges decreases inversely as the square of the
distance separating them, you know”
Me “so you and her are the two
charges separated by some distance and the force of attraction is reducing...”
Kshitij “what! Nooo...I was
talking about charges, what are u talking about?”
Me: charges, of course. Pure
physics(sometimes he really forgets what point he was trying to make for which
he introduced physics.)
Kshitij: ya...so when two
charges are separated by a dielectric medium, do you know what happens...?
Me: dude please, let me remind
you literally because you are not in a state of getting a hint, you were talking about yourself and Rishika, so
please come to the point, share what u wanna share n CUT THE CRAP OUT!”
Kshitij: oh ya...now i remember actually... see budd,
things are not going good. Do u know after we met the first time n then the
second and accidental meeting third time, and a belated meeting the fourth
time, that was it....we met so less times..
Me: I don’t think u met her
very few times..four times meeting with
a girl(initially stranger) is not
less..plus she atleast met you graciously n not kicked your butt for your
whimsical character. Thank Jesus for that.
Kshitij: i didn’t ask for ur
opinion, so shut ur mouth n listen.. I already told you the first time we met,
it was so magical...
Me: why magical?
Kshitij” come on! One human
being is meeting another human being...isnt it magical!!?
Me: when you meet me, do u find
it magical, you douche!
Kshitij: no I don’t find it so
because it is magical when I meet someone who is human n not a wild untamed
beast like you...
Me: ok go ahead with your story.
Kshitij: you know when we met
the second time, i think it was 7th of july 11. You must be
expecting the weather to be very pleasant, it then being the month of july, but
it was not! It was a harsh sunny day when in the morning of 7th
july, came her call.
Rishika: hello kshitij, me n
vertika are at PVR, you were saying you would like to meet me, so why not today?
We planned to watch the movie “transformers” but all tickets were booked so now
we are free. Could you come now?
I really didn’t know what
should i say.(Though i wanted to bless the ticket seller for selling all the
tickets n providing this opportunity... )I promised to play cricket with you
that morning. For a few moments, i thought about ‘you and me playing cricket’ n
about ‘me n rishika spending some time together.’ Then I thought what the hell!
Its like - deciding between margosa leaf and chocolate ice-cream, which one to
eat..
I said: ok rishika, I am coming
but you people have to wait for some time, may be about an hour or so...
Rishika said: ok fine..we can
wait. But you wanna meet na?
I said: “ya sure. Coming to you at the speed of light”.ya,
I know , saying that i violated the basic physics principle as nothing can
travel as fast as light because if a particle of mass m attains a velocity v=c,
then its mass is given by-
m=m’/{1-(v^2/c^2)}^1/2. So if
v=c then mass of particle =1/0 that is infinite ...and also..
Me: dude dude!! The topic..
come to the point, u were telling me something about your boring meetings with
her, remember? Please don’t kill me technologically as well...
Kshitij: you don’t understand,
physics is everywhere. Anyway, that time i had to get ready to meet her, more
mentally than physically. Suddenly i remembered, baba ramdev saying, whenever
you are in stress try relaxing yourself
by deep breathing...so i started breathing deeply but my mother saw me doing this.
She exclaimed: kshitij! What happened ? are you alright...trouble in breathing,
haa?
I said: no its just ramu
effect..anyway, see i gotta go to civil lines(new York of the east) now. I knew
my mother’s next questions would begin with “W” family, like why? With whom?
Where in civil lines?etc etc
So i quickly had to think of
one such statement that could satisfy every possible question arising at the
horizon of my mother’s curious n worried mind. I thought deeply n quickly came
up with a reply,I said: mother, I am going to buy a very important book.
As expected, all “W” related
questions vanished from her mind instantly. There is a thing about Indian
families. If somehow you can convince your parents that you are doing it for
the sake of your studies, no matter what you do, you will never be charged with
any blame. Even if you say to your mother-
mom please may I go and murder manmohan singh because he is framing such
policies that is making life of us students difficult, he is the reason for my
low political science marks, your mom would say- sure beta go ahead if it suits
ur studies n ya be sure to finish him up completely. And don’t underestimate
him beta by his looks, he can be a ferocious beast. Anyway...
So finally i was granted the
permission. Next problem came up with my dress. Mom gave almost all my shirts n
trousers for ironing at a nearby shop.
The only thing wearable was a white t-shirt n a rugged jeans. Still I
was happy with that. Sometimes its better not to have a choice.
I asked one of my friend to
accompany me but he denied. I thought to myself, ah..this time I gotta be damn
confident. I dressed up quickly, took
out the helmet but wait....there was no bike!!
I shouted: mom...where is the
bike?
Mom: your father took it this
morning. He had to visit one of his friends.
I said: but thats not fair, I
too have friends, I also might want the bike. You people don’t understand. They
are waiting..
Mom: just don’t eat my head, go
by public transportation.
Wait a minute...what did u just
say? “ they are waiting” who are “they”
I immediately regretted my last
statement. I said: oh books books....books are waiting, you know I am so into
books that sometimes I personify them...haha..you know..hehe(I was trying to be
as cute as possible). Ok bye bye, gotta go now.
(my mother still thinks me to
be a 5 year old.)
Me n rishika decided to finally
meet at the same restaurant we met the first time. Though rishika was
interested in a more public place like Mc donalds n all, but I hated them,
those are very chaotic. Finally I think vertika might have convinced her to go
to the same old restaurant. Cheers to vertika!
I landed in front of the
restaurant n went inside. It was morning so very few people were there. I
entered the ground floor but saw no one around. I searched for them quite a
time there when a waiter came n said- sir, may be they are in the upper floor.
He was quite intuitive i
guess...anyway, I went up n saw two girls stitting adjacently. I saw rishika,
she looked beautiful. She was talking to vertika so innocently, with smiles n
expressions, I paused for a moment to
witness that adorable sight. Finally I decided to confront them. I began by
apologizing for my late arrival. Believe me its always safe n better to
apologize at first in such situations,
saves you from their delayed sarcasm.
Then we chatted(yes, the word
chatted is grammatically right) for some time, we ate pizza, as I didn’t know
what else would they like, i ordered another pizza :P(I am really bad at
dealing with girls). Things were going fine n good for some time. I thought so
finally everything is going good..phew..! but sometimes later there came an
awkward moment for me. Actually I have the bad habit of shaking my legs while
sitting, continuously. So I was rightfully doing this duty when unintentionally
I landed a sort of kick on rishika’s leg. She immediately exclaimed!(unlike the
movie scenes). In India, even if you glance at a girl, its considered heinous,
so in contrast to this, you can imagine what the kick stuff under the table
could mean(even though not deliberate). Vertika was somehow suppressing her
laughter. She might have thought I intentionally did this. May be rishika also
thought so. I was in such an embarrassing position that all I said was ‘sorry’.
Hope they realized that it was unintentional..
Finally she realized that much
of the time has been spent but I thought it to be few minutes, but when looked
at my watch....i was like: what!! 2 hours??!! Are you kidding me! Relativity
theory is really true i guess.
Anyway, It was time for us to leave. So we finally
bade each other good byes n departed.
Me: ok kshitij...nice story now
please leave...
Kshitij: come on dude! Atleast
listen to our last meeting. It was really a short one. It wont take long I
promise.
Me: ok, but please it should be
very concise.
N then again he began his
babblings...
Kshitij: the last time we met
was Christmas day of 2012. We didn’t meet for almost two years till that day.
After enjoying the whole day with friends, me n rishika planned to meet at PVR.
When I was at PVR, she was in Mc donalds, when she came to pvr, I was at a
restaurant, dining. Ya it was quite late. The time was approximately 8pm. We
were continuously messaging each other about the vague prospect of meeting. We
both were with group of friends so it was obviously difficult for us to come to
the same conclusion. Especially my group was unconvincing. We were all having
dinner when suddenly i don’t know why but it struck me that might be this is
our last meeting. May be I wont be able to see her again. Instantly a
background music started playing in that restaurant, it was a hindi song the
lyrics of which is worth mentioning. It was an old song-‘ shayad iss janam me
mulaakaat ho na ho...’ the first line was objectionable so i clipped it off. :P
Oh I am such a goody goody boy!
I was very much struck by this
song, though I hardly get influenced by songs n all. But may be the situation
was resonating with the song. I left my meal in the middle n immediately went
to meet her.
Actually she was waiting for a
long time...so I was almost running n finally reached the front part of
mc-donalds. I saw them waiting outside for me. I saw rishika making some
gestures to vertika clearly indicating her mood was not at its best. Obviously
I was the immediate cause for it. Somehow i showed up. I really don’t remember
a single word I said to her as it was a two minute meeting n nothing much was
exchanged between us.
Man! She still looked pretty.
It was almost after two years I was looking at her in person.
Before leaving I was trying to
capture her picture in my mind as i was having a strong feeling that this meeting
is the final one. I was trying to capture her innocent face, her fragile smile
n delicate movements, her dark big twinkling eyes, i silently wished that
moment could stay a bit longer but it didn’t... it was all over. Yes, it was
over in few minutes...The girl with whom I talked so much in my happiness or
despair, good times or bad times, day or night, no longer I shall be able to
see her again...sometimes I wish to reverse the time but that idiot Einstein
died before inventing the time machine!
That was literally the end of
our transitory meeting...
Six months after that incident,
I went to Varanasi for giving an exam, I was strolling by the ghats one night , when suddenly a young man came to
me n said: sir, may i have your few minutes?
The man was looking polite but
poor. I said ya what you wanna say?
He said: see, the thing is,
instead of asking you directly for money, i would ask you for a word.
You pick up any word n i will
write a poem with the word inside it. If you like it, if it adds something to
your life, you pay me whatever you like..
I liked his way n specially
when he said- if it adds something to your life.
I was thinking about a
word...suddenly i said..ok the word is- ‘Brook’. Can you write it in English?
He knew English n immediately agreed. May be this is the way he earned his
daily livelihood.
He told me to wait for some
time. I saw him taking out a page n a pen. He then took out a cigarette,
lighted it n put it in his mouth sideways. He looked deep into the ganges flowing
in front of us n began writing. In the dim light I could clearly see his eyes
getting wet n in a few moments a pair of tear drops rolled down his cheeks. I
thought he is out of his mind n started walking away when suddenly he said-
sir, here is your poem.. looking straight into my eyes, with a deep n serious
look, he handed me a piece of paper.
I really didn’t know what made
him so sad n serious... i asked him about it but he said nothing. Then i tried
reading it. I could barely understand his handwriting so requested him to read.
With sorrowful n confident voice he began...
It was an enrapturing piece of
work..words were flowing like music, conveying the surfaced as well as deeply
buried meaning...
The only thing that I would
like to share is, there was a reference to a bird... well, that was enough for
me to think of someone...
I consider that poem too
precious to tell you right now.
Me: thanks a lot
kshitij....finally you saved me from listening to one of your boring poems..
Kshitij: it was not mine actually..
it was his. But it was a touching one. I will recite it someday to you when you
are prepared for its tranquillity...
Kshitij turned serious n went
home all of a sudden...
N really, after that, they
never met again. She, the same year went to some other state doing MBBS n
Kshitij carried on with his preparation for cracking some job to earn his
living..
This is how practical life
works, I guess...
-Kaavya
No comments:
Post a Comment